497-503 Collins Street

A photograph of 497-503 Collins Street.
Name
Rialto Building
Address
497-503 Collins Street
Type
Commercial
Status
Extant
Floors (above-ground)
5
Height
Unknown
Architect / architectural firm
William Pitt
Construction firm
Comely & Gwillam
Construction start date
1890
Construction end date
1891
Architectural style
Federation Gothic
Current Tenant(s):
Past Tenant(s):
  • Alluvial restaurant. (Restaurant).
  • Bluestone Wine Lounge. (Bar).
  • Bonnie Coffee. (Café).
  • Market Lane Bar. (Bar).
Profile

The Rialto Building (not to be confused with Rialto Towers next door, which takes its name from the Rialto Building) was designed by William Pitt and built by Comely & Gwillam between 1890 and 1891 for businessman Patrick McCaughan. In the early 1980s, the Rialto was retained whole, restored, and combined with a new rear wing behind the adjacent Winfield building as part of the redevelopment of the site into a hotel, opening in 1984. The Gothic Revival front is richly articulated, with an array of Gothic pointed arch windows and loggia screens, tuck pointed brickwork, painted render, insets of coloured tiles, and a lively roofline with corner turret. The front office section is four storeys plus attic, with a block-long rear section of rooms used as offices or storerooms, reaching down a further two floors due to the slope behind, which is accessed by open galleries on the east side. It is set back from the west side boundary to allow a bluestone cobbled delivery laneway, running from Flinders Lane at the rear, which then looped under the building, though to an existing lane called Winfield Square, between the Rialto and the Winfield Buildings, allowing easy delivery. It is still visible on the west side, but obscured by new floors on the east. At the Flinders Lane ends of the balconies on each level there are corrugated iron enclosures with arched windows, which originally housed urinals.

Building manager / body corporate / owner's corporation
Unknown
Postcode
3000