210 Lonsdale Street

A photograph of 210 Lonsdale Street.
Name
Queen Victoria Women's Centre, Central Tower
Address
210 Lonsdale Street
Type
Commercial
Status
Extant
Floors (above-ground)
5
Height
Unknown
Architect / architectural firm
J. J. & E. J. Clark
Construction firm
Unknown
Construction start date
1910
Construction end date
1916
Architectural style
Federation Free Classicism
Current Tenant(s):
Profile

The Queen Victoria Women's Centre, or Central Tower, is the last surviving part of the Queen Victoria Hospital, a hospital which once occupied the entire block bounded by Lonsdale Street, Little Lonsdale Street, Swanston Street and Russell Street. This hospital was designed by John James Clark in partnership with his son, E. J. Clark, constructed between 1910 and 1916, and originally known simply as the Melbourne Hospital. In 1935, it was renamed the Royal Melbourne Hospital, and as an institution, this moved to other premises in 1944, with the former buildings becoming occupied by a different institution called the Queen Victoria Hospital, which had been established in 1896 for the specific purpose of servicing women. The site thereafter served as the home of the primary provider of women's healthcare in the city of Melbourne for over four decades.

In 1987, the QVH likewise moved out of the building, and the Melbourne City Council looked to sell it. In 1992, it was sold to property developer David Marriner. During this time, the entire hospital excluding the subject of this page - the Central Tower, which had been afforded heritage protection - was demolished. The surrounding block was thereafter occupied by a variety of ventures, but none succeeded. Marriner then sold the site to the government of Nauru, but it, too, failed to develop it, and returned it to the Council. Finally, in 1999, the Council commissioned Grocon to develop Queen Victoria Village upon the block - a complex consisting of 10 Artemis Lane22-24 Jane Bell Lane180 Lonsdale Street222 Lonsdale Street and 300 Swanston Street. The Central Tower stands amidst these buildings as the sole reminder of that which used to occupy the site, and is now occupied by the Queen Victoria Women's Centre, a non-profit organisation.

Building manager / body corporate / owner's corporation
Unknown
Phone no.
Email address
admin@qvwc.org.au
Postcode
3000